Friday, May 21, 2010

How can you say you love me when I'm not even your kid?

First, I can say it because it's true. It doesn't matter at all whose kid you are! You see, God knows I'm not the world's best parent. I make mistakes, no matter how hard I try not to. So, to help me learn to be a better parent, God sends me kids like you: the best kids He has. You see, people like you, who have suffered so much, and gone through so many bad things, are in a way like Jesus, although Jesus suffered more than any of us ever have to suffer, and he went through more bad things than we can even imagine. Jesus was the very best of all the kids God ever sent to any mother!

But Jesus did things his mother didn't like, too. One day, for instance, when he was only twelve years old, he went to the temple to talk to the priests. But he didn't tell his mother where he was going, so she got all upset with him. His mother was able to help him learn how to behave more appropriately, so that when he grew up, he was the best of all possible people. If I can help you learn to behave more appropriately, you, too, might well grow up to be one of the world's best people. And wouldn't it be dumb of me to not love someone who has that potential?

Second, I can say it because it's true. You see, when God creates people, He gives each of them a special gift. Now, I don't know how He chooses which gift to give to which person, but I do know that when we figure out what our gift is, it's our job to use it wisely. My gift is loving children, no matter who they are or what they do or where they came from. Other people are given other gifts. Mozart's talent was for music and Einstein's talent was for science. It takes a lot of practice to learn to use our gifts wisely, believe me! So every time I hear about a kid who isn't getting all love he's entitled to, I grab him up and take him home and practice on him - if his parents will let me.

You don't have to love me, of course, because it may not be your gift to love just anyone who happens to be parenting you. But that's okay. One day you'll figure out what special gift God gave you, and that's the gift you will have to learn to use wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment